Monday, April 24
Monday, April 3
Wednesday, March 15
- Schedule of deadlines for the final paper research project
- Introduction to the annotated bibliography, and a discussion of the features of annotation
- Excerpt from a sample annotated bibliography, courtesy Jhoanna Infante, taken without permission
Monday, March 6
Friday, March 3
- Second Paper Assignment, prompt and questions on Keats' "Ode on Melancholy" and "Ode on a Grecian Urn."
Thursday, February 16
- Keats' Influence on F. Scott Fitzgerald, and an excerpt taken from The Great Gatsby.
Monday, February 13
- An Introduction to dramatic monologue and writing assignment prompts, due Wed 2/22 and Friday 2/24.
Wednesday, February 8
Friday, February 3
Monday, January 30
- Prompt for the first paper assignment, rough draft due Friday, February 10.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Hecht's "Introduction to Shakespeare's The Sonnets, edited by G. Blakedmore Evans (1996). Extra copies can be found in the "Handouts" folder in my mailbox at the English Dept. office, 322 Wheeler.
- Hecht's addendum (.pdf/.rtf) to the "Introduction", published in The Antioch Review.
- Writing exercise, using the OED to explicate a sonnet.
- Prompt for Three-page Diagnostic Paper, due Friday, January 27.
Wednesday, January 18
- Syllabus (corrected), with class schedule and introduction
- List of poems to be read this semester
- Poems of William Blake read in class, including "The Lamb" and "The Little Black Boy"
- note: copies of the Thomas McLaughlin essay "Figurative Language" can be found in my mailbox at the English Dept. office, 322 Wheeler